Web Wise Forum on Facebook Web Wise Forum on Twitter Web Wise Forum on Google+ Web Wise Forum on StumbleUpon Web Wise Forum on Digg
Domainmonster.com Domain Name Registration

What is Web Hosting?

Web Hosting Forum - Discuss: Website Hosting, VPS Hosting, Webhost, Cloud hosting, Reseller Hosting and Free Web Hosting.

What is Web Hosting?

Postby Barney » Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 pm

I know this might seem simple but so many people get the phrase "Web Hosting" confused with Domain Names that I though it might be good to get this defined from the start!

Web hosting is defined (on Wikipedia) as:

A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web.

Essentially this means that the data you use to create your site; code, text, images or files, are all held on web hosting.

This is totally different from your domain name, which is used to point people towards the correct data.

Web hosting generally comes in two flavours:

• Shared - Shared hosting gives you some space on a server to store data. You will not have access to the server itself. You will be given a part of the storage, just like a folder on your computer, where you can store information. Usually represents the best value for money for normal websites.
  • Dedicated / Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting - Dedicated hosting or Virtual Private Server hosting is used when you are going to be hosting a lot of sites or your site uses large amounts of data. These services often give you full access to the server your data is hosted on, meaning you can install your own Operating System and have much more advanced control over the way the server is set up. Dedicated or VPS hosting is usually substantially more expensive than shared hosting because of the extra space and control you have over the server itself.

A few things to consider when you consider what hosting service you use:

• Storage space - How much storage space will you get. Most sites are relatively small in size. But larger, more dynamic sites will require more space!
  • Bandwidth - How much data can your web hosting send and receive. If you are expecting thousands of visitors a day you will need lots of bandwidth! If only a select group of people are going to be accessing your site, you're not going to need to much.
  • FTP - Does your host provide FTP access. FTP gives you control over the files you have stored on your web hosting. I would recommend you always have FTP access to your hosting as solving any issues you encounter can often require you to grab some files from your host. FTP is the easiest way of doing this!
  • Databases - Do you get some database allowance included with your hosting? If you are using a Content Management System to build your site then you are going to need an SQL database. Make sure your host supports this!

I could go on and on about this issue but I want you guys to ask the question!

Are you confused about how much bandwidth you need? Who is the best web host? There are so many questions to ask, so use the forum!

Thanks all
Barney
Please PM me with any problems you are having with the forum. You can also email us here.
Barney

Re: What is Web Hosting?

Postby Huckerby » Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Great explanation, it's easily confused!

Regarding storage space, roughly how much would be enough for a bog standard website, with nothing more than a some articles, images and maybe a forum? Is a few GB normally plenty?
Looking for a place to register your domains? Can't beat Domainmonster.com, especially awesome for Back Orders!
Huckerby

Postby Barney » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah as far as storage goes, if your site is basic, like the one you described Huckerby, it's not going to need more than a couple of GB.

If you need a huge database and your site has thousands of users all uploading their own content then you are probably better off with a VPS.
Please PM me with any problems you are having with the forum. You can also email us here.
Barney

Postby Reporter1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:13 pm

I got stung once when I had to pay extra after running out of Bandwidth for one of my websites.

It's best to get an unlimited web hosting package so that if your site sees a sudden spike in traffic, you don't have to pay through the nose for it!
Reporter1

Postby anderson123 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:15 am

Hello friends,

It's a nice post.Thanks for it,and web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web.
anderson123

Postby cool0 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 am

A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to provide their own website accessible via the World Wide Web. I am with 9cubehost webhosting after trying different webhosting companies. Their Server performance is even better than my previous webhosting company, uptime is also good . Support is great and i like the fact that they have live chat option available on their website frontpage for quicker response.

Moreover When you selecting the good host first of all, you should check the infrastructure, function, check them to a control panel to manage your hosts. More importantly, how they are professional that will lead your business to success.Its better to research and make a checklist of the features and compare the hosting providers and their services & You should choose hosting based upon the space that you need,amount of traffic your site will get and other such factors. After checking all , I have been using http://www.9cubehosting.com/cheap_hosting/ as my web host for over two years now and have been very very impressed with them.It is cheap, but it is really professional.,you can go with them on a monthly basis .I host all my sites At the time of signup, you can pick the best hosting plan for you, and select a web hosting data center to get ultra fast website load times. Also you can choose your new blog ,cms , web galary or e-store to be readily set up for you before you even log in!
cool0

Return to Web Hosting Forum - Website Hosting - VPS Hosting - Webhost