Web Wise Forum on Facebook Web Wise Forum on Twitter Web Wise Forum on Google+ Web Wise Forum on StumbleUpon Web Wise Forum on Digg
Domainmonster.com Domain Name Registration

POP3 vs IMAP - The big debate!

Discuss: Email Addresses, Email Hosting, Email Clients, POP3, IMAP, Webmail

POP3 vs IMAP - The big debate!

Postby Barney » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Just recently saw an excellent editorial on the Domainmonster.com site.

Looks like this article gives you everything you need to know about the two protocols in simple terms to help you decide which one to use!

Hopefully this will mean that more people will use IMAP ... My personal preference.

You can read the article here:

POP3 vs IMAP - A Beginners Guide.

Discuss your opinions below!

Sam
Please PM me with any problems you are having with the forum. You can also email us here.
Barney

Re: POP3 vs IMAP - The big debate!

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:09 pm

For me it has to be IMAP!!

These days with so many different devices and work/home computers it simply wouldn't be possible for me to manage my affairs without access to historical emails from which ever client I used.

I appreciate I could do that with POP3 by leaving a copy on the server also but then you just duplicate bandwidth and have multiple copies of your mail which also could represent a security risk in some cases!

My vote definitely goes to IMAP!! :D

Chris
Chris

Postby Reporter1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:30 am

Chris wrote:For me it has to be IMAP!!

These days with so many different devices and work/home computers it simply wouldn't be possible for me to manage my affairs without access to historical emails from which ever client I used.

I appreciate I could do that with POP3 by leaving a copy on the server also but then you just duplicate bandwidth and have multiple copies of your mail which also could represent a security risk in some cases!

My vote definitely goes to IMAP!! :D

Chris

I agree Chris.

I use my email on my phone, desktop, laptop, iPad and Netbook.

Can't imagine what life would be like using POP3 on all those different devices!
Reporter1

Postby 123curtis » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Chris has a very valid point! in this day and age there is just no need for a POP mailbox any more.

I am all for IMAP!

The question is, would it be worth getting rid of POP mailboxes completely?
123curtis

Postby Barney » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 am

So so true.

I've got 2 laptops, a desktop, iPad, Phone and iPod all using the same mailbox.

POP3 just isn't practical any more in the multi-device world!
Please PM me with any problems you are having with the forum. You can also email us here.
Barney

Postby SEOpreme » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Another vote for IMAP here.

Bet the POP3 fans will pop up eventually. You could argue that there are benefits to both methods.

Especially considering the security POP3 gives you. Knowing if someone accessed the email server they wouldn't be able to get their hands on your mail is quite comforting.

Still, it's not worth the disadvantages!
SEOpreme

Postby joho » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:57 am

IMAP hands down. The only downside is mail being stored on servers and not hitting limits with mail providers however a work around is to just create a back up copy (such as a .pst file) of mail on a local devices and remove older mail from the server.

It is also handy to keep an eye on files with large attachments
joho

Postby benb92 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:47 pm

IMAP all the way, the whole issue of syncing all your devices is sorted! POP in my opinion, can be a bit of a nightmare!
benb92

Postby Winona » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 pm

I've heard some horror stories with Pop 3 and I can't understand why people still use it when syncing mail with multiple devices. I have my mailbox on my phone, laptop and work Outlook account and can see all mail every time I log in, rather than have to look through each device for a specific mail.
Winona

Postby Pauly_Paul » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

IMAP hands down for me. POP3 is simply a protocol not suitable for the 'multiple device' culture we live in today and this is evident when you attempt to use it in such manner.
Pauly_Paul

Postby jcccl » Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

IMAP. Does anyone think POP3 will eventually just go away? Surely it isn't sustainable in this day and age?
jcccl

Postby MollyL » Fri May 16, 2014 7:19 pm

I doubt that POP3 will stay around for much longer. Although mailboxes can usually be either, it seems ridiculous to only download content to one device when you can download to all. I have enough trouble finding old emails with useful information on them, let alone if they possibly only on one of three devices.
MollyL

Postby jcccl » Sun May 25, 2014 11:01 am

Exactly. 15 years ago, POP3 was working fine as everyone was just using their computer to access email. Not any longer!
jcccl

Return to Email Forum - POP3, IMAP, Email Hosting, Webmail, Email Clients