Web Wise Forum on Facebook Web Wise Forum on Twitter Web Wise Forum on Google+ Web Wise Forum on StumbleUpon Web Wise Forum on Digg
Domainmonster.com Domain Name Registration

Valuing Domain Names

Buy Domains and Sell Domains here: domain names for sale, buy and sell domains, domain sales, premium domains

Valuing Domain Names

Postby Huckerby » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:33 am

Hi there

I've got a few domain names I'm looking to sell (some .co.uk's and some .com's). Can anyone offer advice on how to appropriately value these, and the most important factors such as age, length of the domain, etc?

Are there any particular websites or companies people would recommend which are good for listing and selling domains?

Any advice appreciated!
Looking for a place to register your domains? Can't beat Domainmonster.com, especially awesome for Back Orders!
Huckerby

Re: Valuing Domain Names

Postby Domain Del » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Huckerby,

I think age can be important. if you own anything that has been registered since before the millennium then it should have a good rank in Google. Also the shorter the better and if it's a dictionary word then it's probably more valuable.

The only site I know of to sell them on is Sedo, but try asking your registrar as they may have a platform to sell.
Domain Del
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dream of a better tomorrow…
where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned
Domain Del

Postby Barney » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:36 pm

There are so many factors that come into play it's very difficult to place a value on domains.

They have no physical value so the mantra "It's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it" holds true.

A few factors that go towards valuing a domain are:

String Length
Keywords
Traffic
Brandability

Obviously this list is not exhaustive! You could try Sedo to get an idea of what has been selling and for how much.
Please PM me with any problems you are having with the forum. You can also email us here.
Barney

Postby Domain Del » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm

How about valuing it by adword revenue? You can park your domain and show adverts on it for which you receive a share of the money. See how much you names are worth by seeing how much money they generate.
Domain Del
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dream of a better tomorrow…
where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned
Domain Del

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:28 pm

The TLD also greatly affects the value, if you have a good short .COM then you're much more likely to get a good price for it than a similar ccTLD or more obscure gTLD. You could always put your domains up for auction and they should find their own value that way.
Geoff

Postby Huckerby » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:55 pm

I've got a couple of .com's and .co.uk's first registered back in 2000 (in the good old days of AOL dial-up). Domain parking sounds like a good idea Del, may take a look into that or consider auctioning them.

Thanks for all the advice!
Looking for a place to register your domains? Can't beat Domainmonster.com, especially awesome for Back Orders!
Huckerby

Postby Reporter1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 am

I thought Sedo automatically parked your domains when you try and sell them?
Reporter1

Postby Barney » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am

Reporter1 wrote:I thought Sedo automatically parked your domains when you try and sell them?

They do but there are loads of other parking services available!

I've heard some can be more profitable than others. Maybe try each for a couple of weeks and see how many hits you get?
Please PM me with any problems you are having with the forum. You can also email us here.
Barney

Return to Buy Domains Forum - Sell Domains Forum